Sunday, May 9, 2010

Second Life Spirituality - Is it Real?

Leading a small group in Second Life has some of the same issues as in real life. Getting people together and starting on time! Beyond the fact that the activity took place in the virtual world, in my estimation it could have been held in the brick and mortar church next door.

About eight avatars showed up for a small group session exploring spiritual formation.
Using recorded music and video along with guided meditation and prayer, we met for about an hour. Some of us had attended the Koinia Church in SL and held a get acquainted session, but this was the first official meeting of the Avatars for Faith group.

There were a few technical glitches, but those happen in the real world as well. How often have the words to a song been behind the accompaniment, or the video clip fail to play the first time? One thing I experienced was the freedom to choose music other than church hymns or praise songs. Was it too risky?

Here real flesh & blood humans, strangers and friends, came together to learn about the grace of God, share their sense of the sacred and worship, I think. Maybe they just came to see how I'd pull it off?

At any rate, I'm hoping they will give some feedback. Here's what I'd like to know:

Was this your first experience in Second Life?
What were the range on emotions you felt during the session?
Was the Meditation meaningful?
What felt different?
What did you like?
What did you dislike?
What was good?
What needs improvement?
Would you try it again?

Is spirituality real in Second Life?

Pro or Con - please explain.

To other readers of this blog: What are thoughts on using Second Life to do ministry?

jinjan

2 comments:

  1. I am responding as Avatar Marigold Roxley. I attended a small group in second life aimed at dicovering whether or not this could be a spiritual experience and will it someday replace "church" as we know it. This was my first experience as an avatar in a virtual world. After learning to manage the site, I thought that this could really be one way of gathering for renewal. The setting was quite calming and And I found it to be spiritual in itself. The meditation was meaningful but somehow I expected it to be more contemporary in nature. The use of video and music helped give the experience more of a technical and contemporay feel. However in some aspects the meditation seemed a little "churchy" at times for those looking for a new venue to begin or continue on a spiritual journey. I guess my question is "what type of audience are we trying to reach with this experience?" The unchruched? the "experienced" church go-er? Youth? Adults?

    However, that being said, I did enjoy being a part of this group and I could very well see myself "logging" on to attend a group session to add another road on my journey. I think this experience could be just a spiritual as the participants make it or want it to be.

    On the other hand is this venue too "convenient" for Christians to be all inclusive and accepting while not seeing one another face-to-face? Perhaps, it's just another road to experience on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janis, I've just read your final paper. I find this an amazing exercise in spirituality and a brave exploration of what church is. It also may open new doors for fruitful ministry. Congratulations -- you have my deepest respect!

    -- Philip Clayton

    ReplyDelete

Theology After Google